Sunday 20 December 2009

The Mind of Solstice


What is it about this time of year that feels so magical and promising? The festive season never fails to touch me in this way. I may struggle with the whole buying, wrapping and exchanging gifts bit (although I've never been THIS far behind before!) but the Winter solstice always leads me to parts of my soul and my mind that other times of year don't. Maybe it's the promise of the New Year just around the corner. A time for rethinking, for planning and for promising. A time when it's fine to reassess what you have and want you want from your life and a time for working out how you can take those first steps to get there. It's a time filled with faith and with hope for the future.


For me this it particularly evident this year but looking back 12 months I find just as inspiring. I would never, not in a million years, have expected to be in the situation I find myself today. And that just goes to show me that, yes it's great to look ahead and think of goals I want to achieve, but it's also a time to wonder at the journey that is life. We can never know where we may be taken next. We never can plan for the hills and valleys, for the people and forks we encounter along our path. So, as much as I am enjoying looking forward to 2010 I am also wondering in amazement at the things I cannot know. I have a few places I would like to stop by and visit in the next 12 months, I have people I would love to share the journey with, but I must never be blinded by these alone. For in doing that, I will miss so much.

7 comments:

Ladybird World Mother said...

I love this time of year... dreamy! Love this post... makes me think.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Great thought provoking post. I love this time of year too, it's so full of promise.

Jayne said...

Laybird World Mother - dreamy is a good word...I love it too.

Debs - Thanks Debs, I agree :)

Unknown said...

Must be part of our natural inheritance: the old and the new, the start and the end - a life cycle in fact.
But as your cycle for this year ends, I really hope that your new life's cycle is a good one for you. That you see what you want to see, feel what you want to feel, and experience what you want to experience.
Paul

Carol Anne Strange said...

A thought-provoking post, Jayne. What a year it has been! I do hope that 2010 is a magical one for you. Much love. xx

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

A very though provoking post. All the best for the next 12 months.

XX

Pat Posner said...

Good to have you back, Jayne!

Have a great Christmas and all the best for 2010!