Wednesday 26 May 2010

The Perils of Broadcasting on Autopilot.

Work, although I always pay attention to detail and like to get it right, can often be done on autopilot.....and by that I don't mean that I don't think about what I'm doing, I do, but I do sometimes go into some kind of altered broadcasting state.....if that makes any sense? I'm guessing most people do. For example, you're always careful to pour boiling water from the kettle into the cup safely, though you may be chatting at the same time.....

Well, today I gave myself a mortifying reminder of why I should try NOT to go into this autopilot state.....a reminder that will no doubt haunt me for weeks to come, knowing my colleagues it will probably follow me for months if not years..... I messed up. On BBC Radio Leeds. Just before the 1 o clock news. Sorry Radio Leeds......I really do know that British Airways aren't still be affected by resurfacing work. Really, I do. Sorry. And to make it worse it was a timed bulletin and I didn't have even a second to correct myself. Ooops. Did I mention I was sorry? I'll go and hide now.........oh dear!

No comments: