Tuesday 5 January 2010

Tales of the White Stuff




Wow. What a day. As I sit here the snowing is falling gently outside onto the garden, which already looks as if it has been layed with cotton wool. It looks beautiful....until you have to go out in it of course!



This morning I had a bit of a shock as there was no snow at home. None. Not a flake and there wasn't even any ice. I thought how nice it was to be that little bit warmer, left my gloves at home and settled into the car for the hour journey into work. Imagine the shock when, all at once, I found myself driving through heavy falling snow. Scary doesn't quite cover it! Within a few minutes I was through it and thought it was just a freak snow shower......until, another few minutes down the motorway, it started again! And got heavier. And stuck. Until there was only one lane of the motorway that was open. I knew then it was going to be a busy day.


And it was. I parked the car and trudged into the office, only to find out that I could probably have parked in the car park underneath! Of course this is where my job is one of the most frustrating in the world.........when it snows we are busy! You will have heard travel reports on the radio when it snows...they are long! Road closures, accidents, abandoned vehicles, cancelled trains.....you name it. But of course, this means we have to get into work....and can everyone get into work in that much snow? No. Of course not. So on our busiest days....we have fewest staff! It's just the way it goes, and it made for a very busy shift today! I haven't eaten anything properly yet! The way it's looking now, I don't think I will be able to get into work tomorrow.......it looks like the road out of the estate to the main road is blocked! Oh deary dear....and to think, now I know I could park in the car park! Typical!

4 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a frustrating day.

It doesn't look too bad here, but is so icy that I returned home after about five minutes driving, with the intention of catching a bus. Apparently the buses aren't getting as far out as my parish, so i've had to phone my manager at work.

Unknown said...

Use this experience as a "Think Positive Omen" - you made it in to work to help countless others - so the world revolves around YOU!
Great blog!
xx

Ladybird World Mother said...

Well done for getting in... and I hope that you are now at home the next day enjoying that fire of yours!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

We've had constant snow since 17th December and I'm a bit fed up now - especially when I have to drive in it.

Take care.

XX