Thursday 29 January 2009

On making decisions.....or not



It's another one of those 'drained and overwhelmed' days, I'm afraid. I'm getting closer to the end of this contract and, so far, nothing in sight to replace it. I'm still toying with the idea of going back to university but, in all honesty, if I could find writing to replace what I am losing then I would be happiest to keep doing what I am doing.


I had a lovely chat with a friend over coffee this morning which cheered me up no end, but also reminded me of how lucky I am to not be in work every day. It's a real luxury to be able to have half an hour over a drink after the school run, and I've been lucky to be able to do it for years now. I've also been taking it forgranted and the possibility that I may not be able to do it for much longer is heavy on my shoulders.


Today, I have written three articles for VisitBritain and I'm now looking at my 'To Do' list trying to work out what to tackle next. It's this bit that I find so overwhelming. Which opportunities do I aim at first? Which is most likely to come off? And when one of my stories could be suitable for two different things, how do I decide where to send it? See, this is my problem, I've never been very good one the old decison making......I'm a ponderer......a thinker........and as such am liable to not actually get much done. Hmmmmm........ maybe I'll put the kettle on...........maybe

6 comments:

Carol Anne Strange said...

Making decisions can be tough. Sometimes you just have to trust in your instincts. A choice is always a right choice if you believe it to be. :)

Going back to university ... speaking from current experience, it's challenging but inspiring. Perhaps this could be a turning point for you?

xx

Jayne said...

Carol, thank you. Wise words, as always. The big decision is that going back to university would take me away from my writing and along a different path altogether. I need to decide if I want or, indeed, need to follow that road xx

Annie Wicking said...

Get a copy of Writers' and Artists' yearbook and take a look while you're drinking your coffee.

Good luck with decison

Annie

Jayne said...

Annie - thank you. It's a decision on one story and whether to sub it to a weekly mag or to a publisher for an anthology.....

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

You certainly sound as if you're at a crossroads. I hope it all sorts itself out for you soon.

Jayne said...

Debs - thank you. The right choice will show itself when the time is right, I'm sure.