Friday 5 September 2008

Under the raincloud in more ways than one.

Winter is here. Well, maybe it's Autumn but one thing is for sure Summer has gone. That's if it actually ever came and I think that's debatable this year. We've had the wettest August on record and now, on the 5th September, the forecast is for rain and wind all day as the first Autumn storms roll in off the Atlantic. Fantastic.

I must admit though that I actually quite like sitting inside, nice and cosy and watching it bucket down outside. I love the sound of the rain on the windows. In my dad's old house they had a conservatory and I used to adore the sound of the rain falling on the roof in there too. It reminded me of a line from a poem we studied in school, I think it was by John Betjeman....it was simply about sounds and one of them was 'The sound of the rain on the galvanised roof'. It's always stuck with me although I don't really enjoy much of his work to be honest.

The only down thing about this sort of weather is that it makes me reach for comfort food. I took an elderly Auntie out to the shops this morning and managed to pick up a HUGE vanilla slice cake. Mmmmmm. I brought it home and had eaten it within the hour. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious but I have been trying to lose weight now for 4 years and I'm just not getting anywhere. It really gets me down at times. I don't want to be this size. I despise it. But I seem to lack the motivation or the gumption to actually do anything about it. I hate that about me. We're already planning a lovely holiday for next Summer and I don't want to feel like a beached whale and be so self concious about my body by then and I KNOW I have the time to get to my goal. It's just myself that gets in the way. I really must try again to sort out some sort of plan because at the moment I'm getting nowhere.

I've also done a fabulous job of putting off work all morning.....it's almost midday. Enough is enough. I must get it done!

2 comments:

Tiff said...

It has been raining here in Virginia all day to, and I am enjoying every second of it...I love reaching for the comfort food also. anything sweet...yummy! But I know what you mean about not eating to much of a good thing. I hope you reach your goal by next summer. To lose weight after my second child, I went vegetarian...it worked. Lost all 100 pounds back to my normal weight. Stayed a veggie easier to keep pounds off this way even after four kids :)

Jayne said...

I've been veggie since I was 11 Tiffiney....I wish it was helping the wight come off I really do!!!! :)